Hello everyone! Long time and no posts, I know. But today I’ve decided to write down my goals and resolutions for 2016, bookish and personal. I had trouble thinking of them by New Year’s Eve as I was so busy with work, but I think I’ve finally got them sorted in my head. For many years I’ve set unrealistic and high goals and haven’t achieved them, so this year I’ve decided to go for a more relaxed approach.
R E A D I N G / B O O K I S H
- Goodreads Challenge – Last year I tried the goodreads challenge and my initial goal was 30 books which I soon changed to 40 when I realised how much I was reading. And I ended up reading 44 books! So this year I’ve decided to go ahead and try the 50 book challenge. I think this is very much achievable as I would’ve probably hit this number last year if I hadn’t been working around the clock at a summer camp for three out of the 12 months, which I don’t plan to do this year.
- Read 1 Classic/Award Listed Book a Month – I know there is a 2016 Classics Challenge happening this year but I decided to put my own spin on it in order to work with my current TBR more. So the goal is to read either a classic, or a book that has been either longlisted, shortlisted or won a major literary prize. I read a lot of YA last year which I think was needed after reading almost exclusively classics for 2 years straight, but I have missed reading these books a lot.
- Attend at least ONE bookish event – Last year I went to a talk at Waterstones Piccadilly in London with Patrick Ness, Malorie Blackman, Juno Dawson and Catherine Doyle and it was so much fun! So this year I want to attend more events like this. Currently I have already purchased a ticket for another event at Waterstones Piccadilly and one for YALC in the summer as well, so this shouldn’t be a problem!
- Buy less books – Last year I bought a lot of books that are all currently sitting on my TBR and I have no idea when I’m going to get to some of them. So this year I’m going to be a lot stricter with my purchases and only buy books that I really want to read.
P E R S O N A L
- Keep up this blog – I realise I abandoned this blog fairly quickly after it’s creation as I decided to try out booktube for a while. And whilst I’m not ruling out booktube in the future, personal circumstances have made it difficult for me to make videos now, and due to these circumstances I have had to remove my videos from my channel. I’m super sad about this but I also know I feel more comfortable and articulate when writing as opposed to speaking to a camera, so I’m going to try and move back to blogging. I’ll be posting mostly bookish content but maybe also some personal content. We’ll see!
- Eat at least one piece of fruit per day – I know most people go for the whole ‘i want to eat healthier’ but that seems too vague for me and also is a massive change to make overnight. I figure this resolution as a clear goal and one that is easily achievable. As I am writing this it is currently Day 15 of 2016 and I’ve managed to keep this up!
- Try and go for a walk/run three times a week – I used to exercise a lot and I really love it, but have just been falling out of it in recent years. It always makes me feel good to just go outside and get moving so I hope I can do this more this year. I haven’t been so good at this so far but I’m determined to keep trying!
- Be more positive and kinder to people – I find I can be quite negative and rude at times without realising and I want to change this.
So those are all my goals for 2016! A rather late post about it, I know, but the beginning of this year was a bit of a whirlwind. I’m hoping I will be more successful with these goals than I have been in previous years and I’ll be sure to keep you all updated! Let know in the comments some of your goals for this year, bookish or not, I’d love to know! 🙂